Monday, February 1, 2010

Keeping the personal out of it...

To say the least, I had a shit-tastic weekend. It seemed that my world was turned part ways upside down. I had a list of things happen Sunday that had my face burning in anger and my eyes welling up in tears. I didn't sleep that well, I woke up pissed, and ready to not do anything. Things in my personal life had gone a little haywire.

Today, I got back to my cooperating school and I was still in a bad mood. It was the worst day I have had there. I didn't even try to connect with the students. I worked on future lesson plans and kept out of it. Everything that the morning classes said annoyed me. I kept my mouth shut and hardly smiled. I didn't want to be around anyone and I was stuck in a class full of 20 people.

After lunch, I started to calm down a little. I was realizing why I was having the "shit-tastic" day. I was having a horrible day because I wasn't leaving my personal life at home. I went in pissy and decided that I was going to stay pissy. The students weren't being annoying, they were acting like they always do. The little things that happen, like some students not turning in their work irked me more than normal. I couldn't believe how hard it was for me to leave the personal at home. They could tell i wasn't having a great day and left me alone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm really going to have to work harder on if I'm having a bad day dropping it. I shouldn't be going into the classroom with an attitude like I did today. As hard as it is, I think that teachers must compartmentalize their lives or they will go crazy. We need to realize that our moods and energies affect those around us. I'm sure the students could tell that I wasn't in a good mood. I'm quiet in the classroom anyways and am still really nervous when I take over a lesson, but I'm happy. I smile. Today wasn't that way.

If you have a bad day at home, leave it there. School kids driving you nuts today? Leave it at school. Don't take it home with you. You will drive yourself mad. I'm not saying you should fake it when you have a bad day. Accept it. Realize it is there. Look at the positive things in your life. Get over it. If not for your sake, atleast for your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment