Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Taking Over the Class

Monday was the official day to take over the class. I was nervous and excited. I had so much planned, but everything seemed to go down the drain.

Because of testing, a lot of students were out of class.I felt like I couldn't go too far with all of the missing kids, but I had a lot to show them. I also began getting a cold and I didn't feel well, so my day wasn't going as smoothly as I planned.

Throughout the day my cold worsened and my fuse shortened. By 8th period, I was done for. I was showing the students a powerpoint, and one student "B" corrected me. Before I knew what I was saying, I said

"B", If you are so smart why don't you take over the class"

I couldn't believe what I had just said. How could I have called a student out like that? All of the other students looked at me shocked. I quickly apologized and said that I shouldn't have said that, and I wasn't feeling well. I was really worried that "B" was going to hold a grudge against me for it. I really like "B" and didn't want him to think that I didn't like him in class, because in all honesty, he is usually one of my favorite kids.

On the ride home, I reflected on what I said. By the time I got home, I was crying. My boyfriend asked what was wrong, and I told him I couldn't believe what I said to "B". My boyfriend said it wasn't that big of a deal.

Today, I was nervous for 8th period to come in. When all of the kids were coming in the class, I made a point of saying "Hey, B how is it going?" He was in a cheery mood and told me that everything was going well. Throughout class, I checked in with him, making some jokes, which were received well. I quickly figured out he had forgiven me for my snide remark.

This taught me that the students can be very forgiving. I overstepped a boundary by calling a student out like that. I could have handled this situation better. To "B" though, it wasn't a big deal. I know that all students may not handle things like my rude comment as well, so I really need to breathe before I make a comment, and watch saying things that I don't mean, even if I'm not in a good mood.

1 comment:

  1. The best unsolicited advice I can offer is to "stay happy"... you, your students, and the other faculty will appreciate it.

    Above all else, don't take this stuff home with you. You don't get paid enough to drag your health down.

    I'd go home and kick my dog but he's a well conditioned pit bull and would chew my foot off.

    Dr. E.



    Dr. E.

    ReplyDelete